The variation is in the size of the embedded JPEG preview(s), primarily. The Pentax DNG files are uncompressed with regard to the sensor data.

Some cameras, like my E-1, produce RAW files which are always the same size because the embedded JPEG preview is set to always fit within a particular logical file size (not the same as the actual number of data bytes. And others. like the L1, always have a fixed RAW file size because they do not embed a JPEG preview in the RAW file, they put it into a JPEG sidecar file.

Pentax PEF files use lossless compression on the sensor data AND have large JPEG previews embedded in the RAW files. Both vary depending upon the nature of the data so there are wide variations in size, file to file.

Godfrey