Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

The variation is in the size of the embedded JPEG preview(s), primarily. The Pentax DNG files are uncompressed with regard to the sensor data.

Some cameras, like my E-1, produce RAW files which are always the same size because the embedded JPEG preview is set to always fit within a particular logical file size (not the same as the actual number of data bytes. And others. like the L1, always have a fixed RAW file size because they do not embed a JPEG preview in the RAW file, they put it into a JPEG sidecar file.

I think my darkside raws are uncompressed but they have jpgs imbedded, too ,and I noticed the CRW files are different sizes - though not by a lot.... At first I thought I didnt have jpg files imbedded until the light bulb went on over my head and I realized what the file processing stuff's little "extract jpg files" thingy meant. the extracted files are only useful for doing a quick slideshow for "did I get the shot " in terms of info, thoughsince the quality is low.

ann