Merlin,
I think the problems are more in California and Florida, where house
prices and sales were very high and New York (financials).
I live in the middle of the country in Illinois, near Chicago, where
home prices and sales were not so ridiculously inflated.
The home sales market is slow here, but I would have to search for a
home that was posted with a bank forclosure sign.
The same is true with commercial real estate (businesses).  They have
slower sales, but haven't closed (yet???).
People are concerned and jobs/employment will tell us what the future holds.
Regards,  Bob S.