Yes, things are worse than they have been. However there are 78 million homeowners in the US. No matter how bad a 1 million foreclosures sounds, it's only 1.5% of the whole. In some cases these are tragedies in some cases just deserts. Some places it's worse than others. Particularly so in the areas where home prices were booming. California is especially hard hit. But then California always seems to go to excess. Yes things are bad, but not nearly as bad as some would have us believe. I find it interesting that government is actually cutting programs in California, most places in such straits they just raise taxes and drive more businesses out.