Ken Waller wrote:
In the early 70's I was involved with a group of engineers that built a Pinto for Trans AM, IMSA & SCCA B sedan racing. We started with a body in white. Eliminates a lot of work & discarded pieces. We ran a 1600 cc pushrod, 2.0L SOHC & a 2.3L SOHC in various configurations as determined by the ruling bodies. For an independent, we did alright. Held the B sedan track record at a local track, finished several 6 hour enduros, one in 4th place. Never really could compete with the Datsun 510 factory cars - too much HP among other things. I got my regional SCCA license with it. Won overall in a regional race at a local track in the rain. The owner just did a ground up restoration after all these years - he'll probably try to pedal it.

Pedaling is probably the safest way to power a Pinto!