----- Original Message -----
From: Bruce Dayton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re[4]: Aperature Ring On MZ-S

> I suspect that since I have come from a long line (including Canon,
> Olypus and Nikon) of aperture ring lenses for many, many years, I do
> not find using the aperture ring as a problem.  When I had my PZ-1p's,
> I did use the thumb dial, but did not find it inherently superior to
> the other method.  Just different.

Oh, but I agree with you:) I have nothing against turning the aperture ring,
since I have a Program A... But you'll surely admit that modern, plastic
amateur lenses have very fragile and loose aperture rings. I can't afford
"*" or Limited series lenses and have to rely on cheaper (plastic) ones. Of
course, turning the ring on my SMC M 50mm f/2 or A 28 mm f/2,8 is a
pleasure... Besides, how about lenses that have full stops of their
aperture? As I wrote in another mail, that means that shutter speed and AEB
increments are also full 1 EV... That's no problem with negatives, but how
about slides? The flagship should provide very precise exposure, shouldn't
it?

> I hope that in the future Pentax releases a camera that fits your
> style.  However, other than lower models, I suspect that the future
> has been shown by the lack of success of the PZ-1p.  With digital
> looming, we may not really see much of anything beyond the MZ-S.
> Perhaps the rumored LX II?  But that certainly will not function like
> the PZ-1p.

I'm quite a dawdler, ain't I?:) I simply like clear division - manual is
manual, automatic is automatic... I like the style of my MZ-7 very much and
since the MZ-6 will go its way, the future may bring something more
interesting:) BTW, IMHO the MZ-S shouldn't be called this way - this camera
doesn't belong to the MZ line. It should have started a different series.

> Good luck in your quest.

That's no quest:) I'll probably buy some used Z-1p...
Greetz
Artur
Artur