On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 06:53:26PM -0400, John Francis scripsit:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 05:47:50PM -0400, Graydon wrote:
> > On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 05:36:53PM -0400, John Francis scripsit:
[snip]
> > > Strengths, as I see them:
> > >  o  Metal body shell
> >
> > Why is this a strength?
> >
> > More expensive, not as strong, and conducts more heat than the
> > polycarbonate.  It might be a strength if you expect a 20 year working
> > life and want something that won't become brittle when it runs out of
> > elastomers, but that's not true of a digital camera.
>
> Stiffness.
> I'm sure heat conduction isn't going to be an issue (there's an
> outer skin of polycarbonate, after all, and the camera is cold-
> weather certified).

-10 C isn't much past brisk weather, but point.

> But unless they're building the body out of carbon fibre it's not
> going to be as stiff as one with a metal shell.  The total lack of
> body flex is one of the things that I noticed when I got to play with
> a high-end CaNikon.

Something I have not done, so I will take your word for it.

I will say I have not noticed any particular tendency in the K20D to
flex.

> And I *do* expect close to a 20-year working life out of this.
> My *ist-D still works just fine after 5.5 years; I expect it
> to make it at least to 10.  My old Canon PowerShot G1 is still
> delivering images (albeit now in the hands of its second owner),
> and that's over eight years old.

It would be surprising if all the chips involved could make it to 10
years; 20 would be well past surprising and into "how on earth?"
territory.  Running a microchip will eventually break it, as the
electrical current causes atoms to move and this eventually makes a
transistor unable to trans.  Relatively low power, and relatively low
use (no one has their camera on 24/7, unlike a server) camera chips are
going to last relatively well, but there's a certain amount of passive
diffusion involved, too.  All that cleverness isn't really stable; it's
just that the house of cards takes some years to fall over.

-- Graydon