Hi,

>    BTW, that's another question - any members had their LX fail them
>    in any way during shooting? E.g. in India, or even plain studio at
>    home :) ?

I bought my 1st LX after I'd been using 2 MXs and one of them
repeatedly failed on me in Ethiopia. When I got back to the UK I
traded it in for an LX. About 18 months later I was back in Africa
with an LX, MX and Super A. The Super A and the LX both repeatedly
failed on me in Ethiopia, Zanzibar and South Africa, and so did my A*
135/1.8 lens. They'd all been fine in the UK, so I guess it was the
change of environment that triggered the problems at that particular
time. Only my original bought-from-new MX and the other lenses
kept on going. The MX had already been through many, many trips and
changes of environment since I first bought it, so I think it was
experienced at that sort of thing.

When I got back I joined this forum and learned about the sticky
mirror problem, which is what the LX problem was, so I had it fixed
and the camera worked perfectly from then on. I got rid of the Super A
and eventually bought 2 more LXs. One of them had the sticky mirror
problem from the word 'go', which I didn't mind because I knew about
it. The other was fine and never gave me any trouble iirc. I never got
to take any of them back to Africa, but they did get some rough
treatment, including winter temperatures in Moscow.

It's almost impossible to predict how any used camera is going to
react to a long-haul flight and dramatic change of environment. The
best you can do is have plenty of cover and hope that at least one set
doesn't fail. From the spec you've given you might prefer to buy a new
Nikon FM3A, which has many of the great LX features (surpasses it in
some ways), but then you'd have to get a whole bunch of their lenses
too.

---

 Bob

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]