On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 02:04:42PM -0400, Miserere scripsit:
> I believe Pentax will *HAVE* TO GO FULL-FRAME, like Mark said, out of
> necessity. When this happens (not *if*), what will they do with APS-C?

But they don't have to go full-frame.

IF Pentax-the-brand wants to go compete at the 2 kUSD, 5 kUSD, and
10 kUSD camera price points, they can't do it with APS-C.

That's all.

They might make a virtue of necessity and stick to APS-C, small,
compact, high-spec-for-the-price cameras for adventurers and people who
don't want to carry that much mass when out for a stroll, and so on.
This is how I would read their current public statements.

They might decide that the proper high-end is the 645D, and leapfrog
digital "full frame" entirely in favour of a nominally medium format
line, complete with new lenses.  (This looks like what they're doing if
they're going high end at all.)  Lots of good marketing spin can be had
for this if they can get the price/performance there.

They might decide that they want to make the APS-C camera and a partner
(such as Samsung) can make the full frame or medium camera, and Pentax
can be the lens-maker for the full frame body partner.  Or some other
clever combination that lets them get some more revenue stream and share
development costs.

But, truly, it is obvious to the meanest intelligence that full-frame
isn't a game Pentax can win.  (Not with Sony subsidizing their bodies to
the extent that they're willing to.)  They're doing not so bad right now
by selling into a segment where nobody else is playing; they presumably
want to find another such segment if they want to start selling "pro"
price-point cameras.

-- Graydon