----- Original Message ----- From: "Dario Bonazza" <dario.bona...@virgilio.it>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 2:52 PM
Subject: Re: OT: Sony Releases A850 FF Camera for $2,000

Mark Roberts wrote:

paul stenquist wrote:

I don't think Pentax will HAVE to go full frame. The 645D will fill
the bill as a high end flagship.

Good lord, even the most wildly optimistic price predictions for the
645D have it costing roughly equal to a Canon 1Ds-III! As of this week
35mm full-frame is $2000 and by this time next year it will be
approaching $1500.

I agree. Here I repeat a concept I've been stressing for years (any of you remembering my discussions with Shel long time ago?), but I haven't repeated over the last years, so it's worth doing now. In my view, in practice APS is the "new" small format (which once used to be 35mm film), 24 x 36 is the current medium format and everything above that is large format.

I've seen magazine headlines read: "Is FF the New Medium Format?"--which suggests there are others who might agree with you, Dario.