On 2009-11-25 11:34 , John Sessoms wrote:
Most purchasers won't have control over whether other people smoke
around them, even in California. Not if they ever want to actually use
their portable computer as a portable computer.

really? that doesn't ring true to me -- i have lots of control, with or without my computer, and my computer is extremely portable -- i carry it to and from work daily, take it on short, long and even overseas trips, use it in cafes and restaurants as well as all manner of meeting rooms

maybe smokers (not sure if you are one, John) don't have a good sense of how free of smoke most of the world is; after growing up permeated by parental cigarette smoke, i've since found it easy to avoid it, even before the laws have helped; last time i made a major exception was ten years ago when my mother was dying of lung cancer, and disconnecting from the oxygen a few times a day to smoke a cigarette

i know well the gunk that smoke deposits, on electronics, walls, appliances, artwork ... it clearly takes heavy consisent smoking for it to build up, so an occasional waff in an outdoor cafe (which is pretty infrequent these days) won't make a difference to anything except my composure