On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 3:02 PM, William Robb <war...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How about a fast standard?
> Lets say something in the 28-30mm range with a maximum aperture of
> f/1.4-1.6.

I have a Sigma 30mm f/1.4.  As you open it up the DOF shrinks at an
alarming rate, so it really requires a lot of thinking.  I tend to
like to treat my SLR as much like a better P&S as possible so I whine
a lot.

On the other hand, the other day I shot a big indoor 4th-birthday
party for a pair of twins, all in natural light; I was grumbly about
not everything being tack-sharp perfect, but I posted a slideshow and
the parents just melted, got emails about how great the kids looked,
all their shots featuring either flash glare or kit-lens blur.

So yeah, that's a nice niche to fill.  Assuming it were empty. -T