On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 09:32:09PM -0500, paul stenquist scripsit:
> On Dec 10, 2009, at 8:58 PM, Graydon wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 05:21:46PM -0800, John Celio scripsit:
> >> Same here, and that's my answer to my own question.  A fast normal
> >> prime is the only thing I think Pentax is missing, and I honestly
> >> don't understand why they haven't hit that mark yet.  It's probably
> >> the only lens I could afford right now, too, to touch on what Doug
> >> said.
> >
> > Sony A850.  They *have* to go full-frame now, and probably a year or
> > so earlier than they were planning/expecting.  So normal has moved.
> > It's probably moved off the careful sensor availability schedule,
> > too.
> >
> > I'm expecting that the DFA 50/1.* -- I've seen a rumoured screen
> > grab for a DFA 50/1.0 -- probably got kicked way up the priority
> > queue, while the DA* 30/1.* got kicked down, and there's a vehement
> > discussion about whether or not to discontinue the FA31, if the
> > optical design for the 31 should be transfered directly to the
> > DA*30, etc.
> >
> Don't bet on it. Pentax won't be competing in the diminutive
> full-frame pro market. They are way too far behind the curve in the
> lens lineup, and they don't have the financial horsepower of Sony.
> There will always be buyers for high-end APS-C, and Pentax will remain
> a viable player in that market.

I agree about the "not competitive" part and the "doesn't have Sony's
money" part, but I have my serious doubts about the "reasons of
prestige" part.  I'm not sure they can not have a full frame camera at
the sub-5kUSD price point and remain credible in Japan at this point.

-- Graydon