Actually, XP came later than 2K. The kernel from 2K was the basis for XP. 2K and ME were both released in 2000, ME as a Win 98 replacement and 2K as a Win NT replacement. Memorable Windows releases: CE ME NT, all rock solid performers.

jm
----- Original Message ----- From: "Adam Maas" <a...@mawz.ca>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2010 2:35 PM
Subject: Re: Semi OT: 64 bit Operating Systems and PhotoShop

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 1:09 PM, P. J. Alling
<webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:

Win2K was a better OS from the start than XP. It's taken a long time to get drivers for a lot of things, (I remember having to run my Printer shared on
a Win98 box because the Win2K driver refused to install on Win2K).. The
only thing that killed my last Win2K system was hardware failure. I guess
2000 just didn't have enough eye candy for MS marketing.

Windows 2000 is little more than XP without DirectX (early versions of
the DX being the primary source of the problems with XP, DX didn't get
stable until DX8). The later servicepacks of XP were distinct
improvements over Win2k. And you could turn off the eyecandy easily,
all of my XP installs had the Win2K UI enabled.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca