----- Original Message ----- From: "P. J. Alling"
Subject: Re: Message from Henry Posner, Part I

I understand where B&H is coming from. However now I don't know if I can take any contract they make seriously. Right now for example Staples.com has the HP B8550 printer on sale for half price. Before if B&H had the same deal I would have had no hesitation to buy the same item from them, now I can't afford to believe them. I don't think B&H is dishonest exactly, but if they made a mistake, I don't know what I'd get, maybe I'll get half a printer, (OK that's being silly), but really I don't know how they'd handle it. Maybe they'd send me a different printer selling for the amount I authorized, (which depending on what they sent might amount to half a printer), since they seem to be able to change contracts at whim. Sure the disclaimer is they'll take it back at no cost to me, but what a pain in the ass that would be. I guess I'll still buy from B&H iif their price isn't too much lower than the competition.

Therein lies the rub, no?
Posner's whine is that the customer was predatory, but is a half price sale on a set of speakers believable? It might be unusual, but it's a consumer good and consumer goods do go on sale. Did they really accept payment for the product and then arbitrarily cancel the transaction?
If they did that, I don't see how anyone would trust them as a vendor again.
I find it somewhat ironic that one of the companies that killed the small camera retailer business with predatory pricing practices would even consider crying foul about a "predatory customer". In the grand scheme of things, I've seen more blatant hypocrisy, but Posner is rather the pot calling the kettle black.

William Robb