> A cardinal rule in all businesses is that the customer comes first.
> Granted there could be an exceptional customer that deserves
> to get the boot or who makes unreasonable demands.  In this
> case, resolving the problem to the customer's satisfaction,
> in the big scheme of things, was a rather small concession
> for B&H to make considering the volume of business they do,
> the monetary amount, and the fact that the mistake was theirs.

I read a very illuminating article in the Harvard Business Review a few years
ago which made a strong case for companies dropping the least profitable 10% of
their customer base annually and replacing it with a combination of new
customers and increased business (or more profitable business) from existing
customers. I don't recall every detail but the article defended the idea that
unprofitable customers were a cancer on the business, draining resources and
costing, not earning, money and as a side benefit, sending these troublesome,
difficult, expensive customers to your competition put more burden on them,
benefiting you again.

I cannot say I necessarily agree with every detail of this argument, but it
does have points worth considering.

In the particular instance under discussion, various compromise offers were
tendered. None were accepted. Lawyers I know say a compromise is when both
parties are equally dissatisfied. This customer declined all compromise
efforts. Those here arguing this so vehemently should consider there's more to
the tale than they know.

 -- -

 regards,
 Henry Posner