From: eckinator
RAID 5 has n-1 slack with a minimum disk count of 3, i.e. you lose the
space of one disk but never more than one third of the physical space
you paid for. The quota improves every time you add another disk. RAID
5 will tolerate the loss of one disk so again a spare disk is a should
or must.

I should know this, but either I don't or I've completely forgotten it.

How difficult is it to change the configuration of a RAID 5 from three disks to four disks ... or from four to five ... once you have the data on there?

For example, if I start with a three disk RAID 5 in a tower with room & connections for six disks. After I save up a bit more money, I want to add a fourth disk to the array, and later a fifth and sixth.

How much hassle is it? Can I just add the disk and let the controller automatically re-configure the stripes? Or am I going to have to back the data up somewhere else temporarily and start over?