On 2010-04-14 19:29, Graydon wrote:

Pentax no longer sells anything longer than 300, and while I have both
500 and 800 mm mirror lenses, it's going to be quite awhile until I can
contemplate hunting down an A* 400/2.8.

Look for the Sigma APO 400mm f/4.5 Macro, for a much more cost conscious option. It's a very good lens, though not as good as the FA* 200/2.8 or F* 300/4.5 ... but those are well nigh legendary lenses I'm comparing it to. The Sigma has built in, slide out hood and tripod foot, focuses down to about 3m, and has a limit switch.

The thing I like best about it is the AF/MF switch, though. Lots of lenses have them, but not all of them really act like it. Like my F* 300/4.5 has an AF/MF switch. However, when I put the Sigma in MF mode, trap focus works, but not with the F* 300/4.5 in MF mode.

I was lucky enough to get the Sigma 400 for US$500 right after it was discontinued maybe five years ago. I haven't researched their used prices. Though I'd love to have the FA 400/5.6 or, better yet, the FA* 400/2.8 (or F*?), I can't justify the cost for the amount I'd use it. I'd like to have the FA* 300/2.8, but the same logic applies.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)