On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Graydon <gray...@marost.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 08:59:10PM +0200, Ralf R. Radermacher scripsit:
>> P. J. Alling <webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I expect that's because unless Pentax goes to a ~24x36mm sensor,
>> > there's not much more except bells and whistles that can be added to
>> > the K-7...
>>
>> I still see room for solid, no-frills improvement.
>>
>> Most importantly, they should scrap this miserable Samsung sensor and
>> fit the successor to the K-7 with a decent Sony sensor to put an end
>> to this grotesque situation where the picture quality - in terms of
>> noise and dynamic range - of their top-of-the-line model is largely
>> inferior to their current entry-level camera.
>
> Pentax started with the Samsung sensors because they couldn't rely on
> Sony.  After they've got better results than Sony from the same sensor,
> I'd expect that to be even more true.
>
> My expectation is that the next one is a 645D body with a full-frame
> size sensor.  They get to keep to 2 lens lines, they get an intro point
> out there at well below 10 kUSD, they don't need to replace the body
> design, and the sensor won't be either Sony or Samsung.
>
> -- Graydon

Pentax switched to Samsung for two reasons, They didn't want to be
beholden to Sony and Sony didn't have an available CMOS sensor at the
time (the 1st gen 12MP CMOS APS-C part was exclusive to Nikon at that
point). Samsung has proven to be a worse partner than Sony and Sony is
no longer doing exclusive deals with Nikon so the first issue is
resolved and Sony has plenty of modern sensor designs available to 3rd
parties so the second prolem is resolved.

I expect the next sensor will be a Sony and that aside from the 645D
line Pentax will be exclusively Sony for Sensors.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca