On 29 April 2010 10:30, Adam Maas <a...@mawz.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Miserere <miser...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Camera size, weight, cost, cost of new hard-drive/SD memory, cost of more
>> RAM...
>
> None of these are inherent to going full frame. D3/D700/5D files are
> actually smaller than K-7 files. Current FF cameras are large because
> they're made by companies which insist on making all of their high-end
> cameras be large, there's no inherent reason why you couldn't do a FF
> body in a package marginally larger than a K-7.

Cost is inherent and there's no way around that; a FF sensor is more
expensive than an APS-C. Ask Mark how much he paid for his A850, then
compare with the price of a K-7 right now. I may take my hobby
seriously, but that doesn't mean I want to through money at it like a
desperate groom at a strip joint.

As far as file size is concerned, Pentax will not be using a 12MP FF
sensor, but rather a 20-25MP one. RAW files sizes from that
megapixelage are 25-40MB.

I agree that if there is one brand who could deliver a small (smaller
than Canon 5D) FF camera, that would be Pentax. I would never consider
buying anything larger than a K10/20D, and I still find that size too
large and heavy for much of my shooting.

> Plenty of 35-105/3.5's around

I've used that lens briefly, and it's a fine lens, but not AF, and 2/3
stop slower (I'll take the loss of DoF without complaining). It won't
do as a walk-around lens.

> and Tamron SP 28-105/2.8's can be found on the used market.

While not a bad lens, it is not as good as the Tammy 28-75mm f/2.8 (I
researched it years ago). Another inconvenience is that it was never
built in Pentax AF mount, only in Adaptall mount. Again, I need it to
be AF.

I hope Pentax build a high-spec FF camera that will make you happy. At
the same time I hope they build another camera, with the very same
features and specs, only smaller, with an APS-C sensor...and at less
than half the price. That way I could be happy too  :-)

  --M.

--

    \/\/o/\/\ --> http://WorldOfMiserere.com

    http://EnticingTheLight.com