On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 5:53 PM, John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:

> It's tempting to point to statistics that show a (slightly) lower
> rate of injury amongst helmet wearers.  But this is a self-selecting
> population; it's quite plausible that the sort of person who elects
> to wear a helmet is less likely to engage in risky activities, and
> thus would have a lower chance of an accident even without the helmet.

You have the self-selecting part right, though I'm not convinced the
pro-helmet crowd takes fewer risks.  Rather, the folks who insist on
wearing a helmet are probably more concerned about a bump on the
noggin, and therefore more likely to seek medical treatment.  Whereas
people who wouldn't go to see a doctor for any but the most serious
head injuries are likely among those who refuse to wear a helmet.

I put on a helmet when it rains.  It keeps the hood of my rain jacket
on my head.

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com/fivetoedsloth/