> > Such studies have been done, of course.  But all they can
> measure is
> > the accident rate in the jurisdiction; they can't compare
> the accident
> > rate with helmets to the rate for the same area without helmet use.
> >

> But they can.
>
> Studies from a period before mandatory helmet wearing can be
> compared to a period immediately after helmet mandation.
> Provided other factors haven't significantly changed, and the
> study periods encompass the same cycling population in the
> same place and in the same seasons, then the results can be
> fairly compared.

> Provided other factors haven't significantly changed,

There's the rub.

It also would require the correct figures to have been gathered correctly.
The stuff I've read about it all seems to show that there are no
uncontroversial like-for-like figures available.

It's probably better if we go back to discussing the definition of Art -
it's an easier matter to settle.