2010/5/22 Bob W <p...@web-options.com>:
> [...]
>>
>> I put on a helmet when it rains.  It keeps the hood of my
>> rain jacket on my head.

I have a reflective GoreTex helmet cover, keeps rain and wind out and
surface friction is enough to hold a Petzl TacTikka XP LED headlamp
which can be used as both a headlight or a taillight with slip-in
color screens

> That increases the chance of you having an accident. When you're wearing a
> hood and turn round to see if there are any juggernauts bearing down on you,
> the hood obscures most of your vision. To get it out of the way you have to
> take one hand off the handlebar.

Totally, tried the cobra hood of my ecwcs parka before and while it
was a nice fit, I didn't see a thing turning my head. And I find most
bicycle mirrors to be useless.

> I recommend wearing a traditional cycling
> cap made from a water-repellent material,such as this:
> <http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-cap/>
>
> It may also help keep your scalp attached to your skull when you slide along
> the blacktop on your head.

I doubt that. Same as with motorcycle gear, if it isn't securely
attached, either to you or to another piece of gear, it will simply
come sliding right off on impact or shortly thereafter... =(