[...]
> Did anyone ask if he was a Soviet mole?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who was thinking about it, but no - nobody
asked. Personally I don't think he was a mole. He left the party in 1939
over the von Ribbentrop pact, had an honourable war record, and could never
have been Minister of Defence if there had been any serious doubts about him
(unless MI6 were playing a very risky game indeed).

Incidentally, at 93 he is almost unrecognisably different from the jolly
silly billy of the 70s.