On Jul 18, 2010, at 3:53 PM, eckinator wrote:

> is there too much supply, too little demand, too much price pressure
> or what is the reason for this?

Farming in this country, and I assume in much of the rest of the world, e.g.,
Brazil, Canada, Australia, is a capital intensive business. My grandfather
started farming with two mules and a collection of used horse-drawn equipment.
He was able to get started in farming off the income he earned as a hired hand.

This is is impossible today. Even to plant a crop, farmers have to borrow money
from the bank, lots of it, for seed, fertilizer, and fuel, not to speak of the
huge initial investment in tractors, implements, harvesters, and on-form drying
and storage equipment. You have to farm a lot of acres to make such investments
possible.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net