On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Adam Maas <a...@mawz.ca> wrote:

>>> It's not in any screenshot of the Leopard or Snow Leopard finder I can
>>> find.
>>>
>>> -Adam
>>
>> It's off by default ...
>>
>>  View -> Show Path Bar
>>

>> -bmw
>
> Ah, useful to note. Thanks for the info. That would go a long way to
> making Finder nicer to work with.

It's been there since 10.3.

Another thing you're likely unaware of is that Command-clicking on any
Finder window's title will reveal a drop-down menu with the entire
folder path from that window to the volume root. You can open a window
to any folder on that path by picking it from the menu. This has been
there since 1991 on all versions of Mac OS. (It also works with most
application document windows too, a service provided by the Finder.)

I don't use Finder "file navigator" alternatives because in the 26
years I've been using Apple Mac OS systems I have yet to find one that
was as intuitive and sensible to use as the Finder. Most of them are
heavily laden with yakity-yak nonsense that the Finder does with far
more subtlety. These products have a ridiculously small market
penetration, considering the size of the Mac OS installed base. And in
doing consulting the past six years as an independent, I've discovered
that the vast majority of problems on most people's systems are solved
by removing all these poorly designed and implemented add-on things,
and teaching them how to do what they want with the Finder.

Most people never read the extensive Mac OS X help that is included
right in the standard system installation and never understand more
than a quarter of the features included with the Finder. Sometimes it
seems that I spend my consulting life reading people the Mac OS X help
file that is on the system in front of their noses. ;-)
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com