On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 8:29 PM, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> From: CheekyGeek
>>
>> To those who have raised the "freedom of religion" issue with regard to a
>> group's preaching/proselytizing I would only add this: the concept and
>> exercise of Freedom of Religion is indeed a wonderful thing. However, for
>> those who take Christ's command to "Go therefore and preach" personally upon
>> themselves, their responsibility is no less in a country that has no such
>> constitutional protections. Like the apostles of Jesus' day that were
>> ordered by the Jewish Sanhedrin (High Court) to stop preaching, they would
>> answer: "We must obey God as ruler, rather than men." (Acts 5:29) A
>> Christian is under a scriptural obligation to obey the secular rulers in all
>> things,
>> EXCEPT those that would require them to break a command from a Higher
>>  Authority.
>
> So their right to preach over-rides my right to follow my own beliefs?

In public they have the right to preach. You have the right not to
listen, to mock them, to preach your own beliefs next to them or to
try and shout them down. You don't have the right to force them to
shut up. Note this is not a Freedom of Religion issue but rather
Freedom of Speech.

Freedom of Religion is the freedom to practice or not practice a
religion. The latter is the only aspect of Freedom from Religion there
is. You do not have the right to not hear about religion in public (as
that is a violation of the Freedom of Speech rights of those who are
religious).

-Adam