1- Which metadata is "correct" depends upon your workflow and policy.
My workflow is such that the "correct" metadata is always what is in
the Lightroom catalog, not what is contained in the original image
file, because Lightroom is the only way I *add* metadata to my files.
Other applications like Photoshop can append additional metadata to
original image files a) if you edit ORIGINAL files with them and b) if
you've set the options to do so ... but I turn off all those options
and don't edit original image files with anything but Lightroom.

On those rare occasions when I do edit metadata in some other
application, it is most typically in files which I exported from
Lightroom and re-imported, for some reason, then manipulated elsewhere
for some other reason. Then I immediately tell LR to reconcile the
metadata by re-importing the metadata.

I haven't seen any difference in LR performance based on metadata in
or out of sync, but it is certainly a better workflow to assure that
all metadata in the Lightroom catalog is the most up to date metadata.
If you have automatic metadata synching enabled (I do not ... there's
no point IMO unless you are doing a lot of combined use of LR with
other Creative Suite components that also use the metadata), you might
try disabling it to see how that affects LR performance on your
system. I found on my G5 system it could put a nearly-full drive
containing the original image file repository into a near-thrashing
state and certainly slowed all Lightroom operations substantially. *

2- LR 3.0 crashing ... Are you running in 64-bit or 32-bit? on Windows
or Mac OS X? How much RAM is installed on your system? How large is
your catalog? How much free disk space is there on the volume where
you have the catalog file? and the original image files?

If you're running in 64-bit and Lightroom is running in 64bit mode,
whether Windows or Mac OS X, reports of LR3 problems decrease
substantially when system RAM is 8G or above. There's very little
point to running 64bit OSes on systems with 4G or less system RAM
installed, and LR3 will run more reliably and faster in a 32bit with a
32-bit OS on up to 4G RAM systems.

3- And, if you are having crashing problems with LR 3.0, why haven't
you installed and started working with LR 3.2 RC?

My Apple Mini system is now outfitted with LR 2.7, 3 and 3.2RC,
running 8G system RAM on Mac OS X "Snow Leopard", all 64-bit. Both
startup (500G) and data drive (1T) have between 40 and 50 per cent
free space.  v3.0 is slightly slower in operation than both v2.7 and
v3.2 RC and, watching the Activity Monitor, seems to work with system
memory more efficiently. Most of my editing is now being done in LR
3.2 RC. (Yes, I've seen several small glitches with LR3 and I've filed
them as bugs, but overall they're all workflow issues that are easily
worked around.)

(* side note: new system performance ...

One interesting system difference between the Apple Mini and the G5
tower is in file system IO performance through the different hardware
interfaces. USB 2 has been significantly optimized over the G5's USB 2
implementation ... it's now on par with or more efficient than the
G5's FW400 was. FW800 is also significantly faster performing on the
Mini than on the G5, and faster than USB 2 as well. Nearly all my
external devices are FW400+USB2 interface equipped; I wish more of
them also had FW800 interfaces.

For still photography work, USB2 and FW400 are proving to be good
enough, and the improved USB2 performance makes the system much more
flexible as to how to organize the hardware connections. The improved
IO performance makes it almost a wash, in practical terms, as to
whether I site the Lightroom catalog on the same volume as the
original image files vs the startup drive.)

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com