On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 2:11 AM, Boris Liberman <bori...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/26/2010 8:14 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
>>
>> Regards your crashing problems, your hardware looks up to snuff
>> although I'm not sure why you'd run Win XP 64-bit rather than Win 7
>> 64-bit. Seems to me that Win 7 is a LOT better at 64bit operations
>> than anything out of the XP generation, but then "I don't do Windows"
>> so perhaps I'm missing some subtleties there.
>
> Oh, the reasons are purely tangential. I bought WinXP64 when Win7 wasn't
> available yet in its final form. In the office my workstation runs WinXP64
> so I kind of prefer my work computer (10 hours a day, 5 days a week) to be
> similar to my home computer. So, there is no any *real* reason, just my
> laziness and obsession with convenience...

XP64 is pretty buggy, especially with consumer hardware. MS didn't get
a truly usable 64-bit version of Windows out until Vista 64 (Win7 64
is Vista 64 under the hood, there are no significant non-UI
differences in the 64 bit version) and driver support for XP 64 is
poor. Note that XP 64 is not officially supported by LR, official
support is XP SP3, Vista Home Premium or betetr (32 & 64) and Win7 (32
& 64).

Personally I run XP 32 at work with Themes off and Vista 64 at home,
with Themes off. There's not that much in the way of difference aside
from Vista's better Explorer and Start menu organization. Both
otherwise look and act like Win2000.

-Adam