On 8/26/2010 8:14 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
Regards your crashing problems, your hardware looks up to snuff
although I'm not sure why you'd run Win XP 64-bit rather than Win 7
64-bit. Seems to me that Win 7 is a LOT better at 64bit operations
than anything out of the XP generation, but then "I don't do Windows"
so perhaps I'm missing some subtleties there.

Oh, the reasons are purely tangential. I bought WinXP64 when Win7 wasn't available yet in its final form. In the office my workstation runs WinXP64 so I kind of prefer my work computer (10 hours a day, 5 days a week) to be similar to my home computer. So, there is no any *real* reason, just my laziness and obsession with convenience...

... But you might try moving
that storage volume to a local connect and see if you still have
crashing problems. If you don't, that's the culprit.

I will pay special attention to this "local connect" suggestion, Godfrey, as it *seems* that once it crashes for the first time I doesn't crash any more until I reboot the computer, which would be well in line with some peculiarity of WinXP64 initialization of net interfaces.

(My own system is all direct connection via USB2 and FW400. My 'in
progress' catalog file has 78,000 images in it, is about 1.12Gbytes in
size. I move too much data for even 1G ethernet to handle efficiently,
that's why the direct connections.)

I see.

Lightroom 2.7 was bit-for-bit identical with Lightroom 2.7 RC. When
Adobe puts out an RC version for public consumption, it's typically
about a 98% probability that the release will be identical. I've been
running on 3.2 RC for the past week, it's very reliable and stable.
I've deleted 2.7 and 2.0 from my system now.

Oh! Fascinating... Well, and you also suggest, I suppose, that moving from 3.2RC is 3.2Rel is going to be fully seamless...

Boris