On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 11:06 PM, Boris Liberman <bori...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since I don't edit my images anywhere else than in LR and since I also don't
> have more than one LR version installed on my computer at any time, it is
> yet unclear to me why LR decided that my MD was incorrect in a way...

If you use only LR, than it might simply be a matter of internal
bookkeeping. Fr instance, if the same photos were incorporated into
two different Lightroom catalogs and one made changes, then LR might
say that the metadata was changed by an external application.

I've seen this on a couple of the catalogs I converted to LR3 (all 22
of mine are now updated to LR3 ... :-). I've simply told LR to
overwrite any metadata in any of the in-progress images, and told it
to re-import metadata from any of the finished images. No problems
yet.

>> 2- LR 3.0 crashing ... Are you running in 64-bit or 32-bit? on Windows
>> or Mac OS X? How much RAM is installed on your system? How large is
>> your catalog? How much free disk space is there on the volume where
>> you have the catalog file? and the original image files?
>
> Here is the layout...
>
> Hardware:
>
> 1. Dual core CPU (Intel 8400, if I am not mistaken)
> 2. 8GB RAM
> 3. 320 GB system disk
> 4. 1 TB of Linux storage (RAID-1) connected directly through a separate NIC
> at 1Gbit.
>
> Software:
>
> 1. Windows XP 64 bit configured so as to have no swap file whatsoever.
> 2. LR 3.0
>
> Parameters:
>
> 1. Order of 270 GB free on system disk
> 2. Catalog is about 520 MB in size (approx 33,000 image files managed)
> 3. About 300 GB free on storage.
>
> So it seems from what you say that it has no reasons to run unstable...
>
>> 3- And, if you are having crashing problems with LR 3.0, why haven't
>> you installed and started working with LR 3.2 RC?
>
> I feel hesitant to install any beta/release candidate software no matter how
> loud they say it is good. Unless absolutely forced to do so, I'd rather stay
> with LR 3.0 until LR 3.2 becomes a proper release, and not just release
> candidate.
>
>> For still photography work, USB2 and FW400 are proving to be good
>> enough, and the improved USB2 performance makes the system much more
>> flexible as to how to organize the hardware connections. The improved
>> IO performance makes it almost a wash, in practical terms, as to
>> whether I site the Lightroom catalog on the same volume as the
>> original image files vs the startup drive.)
>
> In my case, LR catalog is on internal HDD where Windows is installed and
> photos are on external storage.
>
> I am open to suggestions, as usual.

Regards your crashing problems, your hardware looks up to snuff
although I'm not sure why you'd run Win XP 64-bit rather than Win 7
64-bit. Seems to me that Win 7 is a LOT better at 64bit operations
than anything out of the XP generation, but then "I don't do Windows"
so perhaps I'm missing some subtleties there.

However, when I have heard of intermittent crashing problems with
Windows systems it seems to be 80% of the time connected with
networked drive storage for the original image file repository. Most
of the problems seem to disappear when the image file repository is
connected locally. Again, I've only heard of these things second-hand
as, as above, "I don't do Windows": it's not my specialty. Mixing a
Windows XP 64-bit system with a networked Linux storage system is
something I have zero direct experience with. But you might try moving
that storage volume to a local connect and see if you still have
crashing problems. If you don't, that's the culprit.

(My own system is all direct connection via USB2 and FW400. My 'in
progress' catalog file has 78,000 images in it, is about 1.12Gbytes in
size. I move too much data for even 1G ethernet to handle efficiently,
that's why the direct connections.)

Lightroom 2.7 was bit-for-bit identical with Lightroom 2.7 RC. When
Adobe puts out an RC version for public consumption, it's typically
about a 98% probability that the release will be identical. I've been
running on 3.2 RC for the past week, it's very reliable and stable.
I've deleted 2.7 and 2.0 from my system now.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com