2010/9/3 Boris Liberman <bori...@gmail.com>:

> Comparing K10D that I have and K-7 I should say that getting in focus
> pictures of my girls on a swing wasn't a problem. But then again I also
> managed with K10D... In principle, though you are likely to know that
> already, you should /anticipate/ and press the shutter release at exactly
> the right time. It can be done with K10D but you cannot just point the
> camera, compose the image and shoot away hoping that automatics will
> automate the rest of the process.

I see what you're saying and I'm definitely cutting the camera some
slack and not asking for miracles.

The problem as opposed to a swing is that from human head level it is
an enormous challenge to cameras with even the slowest turning
carousels because objects constantly enter and leave the foreground
even if you keep the principal subject dead centered or as close to
your selected AF point as possible and I acknowledge that. The camera
has to first of all be able to ignore the foreground and stick within
a certain distance range rather than to hunt for /ANY AVAILABLE LOCK/
all  over the lens's range. This is enough of a task already but not
exactly one of the K10D's principal virtues.

Plus I think any camera will have a hard time knowing which face to
follow because there are so many, too. I try to cut the camera some
slack and take some blame here myself, don't get me wrong. I am just
unhappy about the huge number of shots lost to bad focus. In fact,
some of the OOF shots are better than any in focus I have gotten from
that session.

> I've no real life experience with Nikon and Canon bodies in this kind of
> shooting, so I have nothing to compare with.

Me neither. I am just venting. My last Canon was a T90 and I loved that thing.

> As to your problem I might suggest two things:
> 1. Take a wider lens. More dof and less focus throw can help you out.

Considered that. Considered stopping down, too. Will have to try both.
Neither seems quite so viable in terms of desired result.

> 2. Take a manual 50 mm lens, prefocus and practice until you can hit the
> target with reasonable certainty. I think that will make you aaaargh!!! way
> way way less often...

Probably my best bet. Now let me set up my tripod before you think I
am a total test shot loser....

Cheers
Ecke