Eventually, I hope to get to the point where I never take bad pictures, and they all sell for thousands. Then, I'm getting a 645D.

Best,

Walt

On 10/5/2010 3:37 PM, John Sessoms wrote:
From: Walter Gilbert
  As I hasten to stipulate at every opportunity, I'm pretty new to
photography, and I have what may seem to be a stupid question.  So,
please indulge me.

That said, what do all of you real photographers do with images that may
be flawed, but still have some redeeming qualities to them.  For
instance, a shot that's too poorly focused to rescue with sharpening
tools and so forth, but does capture a sense of action that is somewhat
appealing.  Like this one, for example:

I'm not yet a pro, but that's what I'm going to school for, so I'll stick my $0.02 in ...

If it's an image I'll never get the opportunity to do a better job on, I keep it. I *might* find something in it that I can use, if nothing more than inspiration to do better work in the future. But good image or not, it's the history of where I was.

If it's an image I might get to do again and do a better job, I keep it until I *can* do a better job. Once I've got a better image, I delete the inferior image.

Learn what you can to improve your image and once you do improve, delete the dud and keep the better one.

I probably should go ahead and delete it right away, but I find it's easier to allow some time to pass before evaluating my images. It seems like as I go back to them later, it's easier to see the real duds and it doesn't cause as much pain to delete them.

And sometimes, rarely, I find something of worth I didn't originally see in the image.