On Oct 5, 2010, at 5:26 PM, Rob Studdert wrote:

> On 6 October 2010 11:03, Mark Roberts <m...@robertstech.com> wrote:
>
>> That's a bit extreme, in my view (I find a lot of shots that didn't
>> come out as I envisaged prove quite useful later), but I delete a lot.
>> Good photographers have to be ruthless editors of their own work.
>
> Editing does not equal deleting.

As post processing tools get better many shots that capture a great moment, but
were technically lacking become salvageable.  Lightroom's  new noise reduction
is very impressive, and makes me glad that I shoot in raw.

Even so, I would say that the vast majority of any improvement in the quality
of my work over the past year or so is as much due to the pictures that I don't
post, as it is in any improvement in my skills as a photographer.

Giving credit where it is due, a lot of the pictures that I've taken in the
past year are a lot deeper within the little stormtroopers performance envelope
than they were the K20.  The K20 is amazing under ISO 640, when you can take
the time to manually set the exposure, double check the histogram, and take
time with focusing, but as I've discovered recently when using both if you need
high ISO, or accurate auto exposure, the K-x is so much better.

As an aside, I'm somewhat bothered by referring to sensitivity as ISO, as it
actually has very little to do with the International Standards Organization,
but calling it sensitivity would probably cause more confusion than it clears
up inaccuracies.