On Oct 9, 2010, at 10:31 PM, Christine Nielsen wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Jeffery Smith <jsmith...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> With memory cards as cheap as they are, I don't shoot in anything but RAW. I
>> never need a string of closely-timed images, so RAW is normal for me. Unless
>> it is overcast, I won't even think about shooting at midday. I know, it's
>> sort of a lazy attitude, but dawn and dusk are so much better for landscapes.
>
> Of course.  But sometimes, you have to make pictures in an "it is what
> it is" situation.  The light will be harsh, but the scenery will still
> be breathtaking. Enjoy your family, make the best of the photos, bring
> home happy memories.

That was Jeffery commenting, not me. And, yes, this is all family. I'll be
getting in what photography I can, though I don't think there'll be any
shortage of opportunities.

> And be careful when taking family photos at the rim of the Canyon.
> "Just take one step back..."

Oh, don't worry. I was a gymnast and diver as a kid, but somewhere along the
way I developed pretty serious fear of heights. Once, on the Blue Ridge
Parkway, with my wife driving, I was practically in terror till we got down off
there.

Hopefully this fear will spill over into care in posing the family. [I hate
posing people.]

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net