From: Eric Weir
On Oct 9, 2010, at 4:53 PM, Brian Walters wrote:

Your PL is probably a linear type.

To use a polarizing filter, you rotate it while looking through
the viewfinder to get the best effect - they work best at a angle
of around 90 degrees to the sun, as Larry said.
Thanks, Brian. Yeah, I bought the PL filter to use with my K1000
years ago. And thanks for the pointers on using it.

The PL is almost certainly a linear polarizer (Polarizer, Linear).

It should work with a digital camera as a polarizer, but might make auto-focus problematic. For auto-focus cameras the Circular Polarizer (CP) is recommended.