From: Eric Weir
A week from today I'll be taking off for Phoenix to join a couple of
my long-time, well-known sisters and another we'll be meeting for the
first time -- we only discovered her this past January; she's
English; our father served in the US Army Air Force in England during
WWII -- and then spend most of the week following in Northern
Arizona, taking in the Grand Canyon and other sites in up there and
in the Four Corners.

I haven't been doing much shooting, but I imagine I'll be shooting a
fair bit on this trip. Following advice given by several here
earlier, I'm taking my DS and one lens, an a 28/2.8. There will be a
lot of light, of course, and I imagine I'll be wanting to be doing
shooting mid-day.

Any suggestions? Forget it? Take a filter? If so, what kind? Anything
else? I am the rankest amateur on this list. [I don't deserve to be
here, I learn a lot lurking, and you're so nice to me.]

Two filters you can likely use - polarizer and split neutral density filter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduated_neutral_density_filter

They can be combined.

I would also suggest a second lens - perhaps a medium zoom - 35-70 or 35-80.

If I were going to Grand Canyon/four corners, I'd try to take my entire kit, but, then again, I wouldn't be visiting with family.