On Oct 9, 2010, at 7:43 PM, Steven Desjardins wrote:

> I'm a bit confused.  Is the the 28 an A or FA?  Why would the manual
> (M) lenses teach you less about exposure.  You'll learn quite a bit
> with the M's since you will notice the exposure more.  As a matter of
> fact, when I use the M's on static subjects I often adjust the
> exposure with the histogram.

The 28 is an A.

My thinking may be changing, probably has changed, as a result of this
conversation. As I've been using M lenses since acquiring the DS, I've been
setting aperture by first setting the shutter speed, then punching the exposure
lock button to set the aperture. The camera computes the aperture. But Larry
reminded me that if I read -- let's let that be "guess" at this point -- the
light value of the scene myself, I can take responsibility for setting the
aperture, taking into consideration what I want to do. So, as you say, I'll
learn quite a bit with M's. [In exactly the way I do with my Smena.]

Further evidence of my extreme amateur status: I have no idea how to read a
histogram. I've read about how to read a histogram, but have no idea how to
actually do it. Perhaps because I have yet to try.]

Thanks for the questions, Steven -- and the pointers.

Sincerely,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net