Personally, I think that Pentax backward compatibility is way overrated compared to what it truly is.

On 11/1/2010 11:41 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:
Miserere wrote:

Boris, I'd say yes and no. I suppose we should take into account what
*might* happen 5 years from now, but what's more important to me is
what happens this Friday when I go shooting. If I need a DA lens for
my subjects, then I'll buy it and use it; it would seem silly to me
not to do so just because *maybe* in 5 years time that lens will
become unusable on the new bodies.

Personally, I don't think there's any chance that Pentax (top-end
bodies, anyway) will lose screw-drive in 5 years. There's a
significant number of FA* lenses like the 600/4.0, 250-600/5.6 and
300/2.8 out there. Not a lot, but a significant number. And their
owners are long-time, money-spending Pentax users who Pentax is
unlikely to want to piss off. Also, there are no SDM replacements for
these lenses in sight at the moment.

I think this is all hand-wringing over nothing.