On 11/2/2010 9:14 AM, John Francis wrote:
In any case, I reckon Pentax are pretty good as far as compatibility goes.
We haven't yet seen a body that drops support for the A-series lenses,
although it's almost 20 years since the FA lens family first showed up.
I'm sure we'll see such a body eventually, but history suggests that any
current lens purchases will be fully usable for the next two decades.

New lenses on older bodies aren't quite as good for compatibility; not
all of the current lenses are fully compatible with the *ist-D bodies
(which can't focus those few lenses lacking a screwdriver coupling)

Right. I wouldn't call it a mess, but it is, how to put it - complicated. Consider this:

I have MX, ZX-L (MZ-6), K10D and K-7. My lenses are (from wide to tele):

1. FAJ 18-35 - won't work on MX, will work on MZ-6 with limitations, will work on other two bodies.
2. FA 20/2.8 - will work on all.
3. DA 21/3.2 - won't work on MX, not recommended on ZX-L, will work on other two bodies. 4. FA 31, FA 43, A 50/1.2, FA 50/1.4, FA 77, FA 100/3.5 macro - will work on all bodies.
5. Tamron 28-75/2.8 - will work on all bodies
6. Sigma 24-60 (with focus shift) - won't work on MX, will work on ZX-L and K10D but it is not recommended as the known focus shift may render AF unusable. Will work on K-7.

It is not bad, but it could have been better...

Boris