On 2010-12-22 1:11, Eric Weir wrote:

Perhaps the lesson I should take from this is retailers, and
business in general, are just not to be trusted: Read the
fine print. Carefully. [...] That we should just trust them?

My views might be a bit jaundiced, but trust isn't part of the equation when you're entering into any transaction or contract. Everything has to be spelled out or there'll be trouble later. It doesn't matter what anyone said; what's written down is what counts.

The other side of that coin is what hit you: one party can do things that obscure the details to the detriment of the other party, intentionally or not. If the transaction is big enough to make it economically worthwhile, and the behavior egregious enough, that can be actionable in court. Of course, you've then got to convince the judge or jury.

As for shouting angrily, with the exception of following up on the
suggestion that I send an email to the customer advocate at Adorama,
I think I've gotten about what I can expect from it.

I don't shout. But at the conclusion of the deal, I snail mail a letter to the manager (or whatever) to let them know I won't be back and why. It may not matter to them, but if I just leave, they can't know that at least one of their customers considers that they have a problem.

I have to say my dealings with individuals on eBay have been more
principled than this.

Keep trying; ebay can surely bite you, too. In less than fifty transactions I've been hosed three times (broken or grossly misrepresented items) and ebay was no help. Speaking of which, anyone interested in a motor drive for a Spottie? At least, I think that's what it is. It was represented as an LX motor drive.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)