From: Doug Franklin
On 2011-03-01 19:31, John Sessoms wrote:
> I'm trying to get my all of my digital photos organized now that I have
> sufficient storage space to keep them all on one drive. That's the
> necessary prelude to making a complete REAL backup (i.e. one here, one
> there - NOT here IYKWIM).
OK, it might not be what you want to hear, but it sounds like the best
course of action is to (a) get over the chronological order thing for
the time being, and name them some other way and (b) after you've got a
flippin' backup, then worry about chronology.  If nothing else, some of
us here on the list can probably help you put together a script that
would rename them based on the date stored in the EXIF data, if such a
thing doesn't already exist.

I'm not really worried as much about the chronological order as I am worried about mis-naming files and over-writing something so it gets lost forever. Some of the files have already been renamed when they were put on the USB drives. But there are gaps that I think might be from mis-renaming files after I copied them.

Because I also have duplicate file names. I have different files on different drives that have the same names, but they're not the same image.

I'm sorting through 6 years of photos from 4 cameras. If the file number and the date don't both go in sequence I know there's an area where I've got a problem. Getting the chronology straightened out can help me find the mis-renamed files & help me reconstruct what they should be named.

Part of the problem is I got the files spread over 10 different USB drives before I had the money to buy the NAS. I need to resolve the conflicts so I don't lose files when I consolidate them on the NAS, and that's why I'm looking at chronology.

The inconsistent chronology thing only affects about 6 months of 1 camera in 2007. I got the clock set correctly after that. It's not a problem with the dates being wrong, it's a problem with the dates not all being wrong by the same amount all the time.

Getting them both in sequence has already helped me identify where I screwed up file names in 2004 - 2005 so I was able to straighten the problem out without losing files.

2004 - 2006 are fixed and I have already made REAL backups for 2004 - 2005 (one here, one there).

To efficiently use the drive space I already have available for converting to backups, I want to get 2007 straightened out so it can go on the same pair of drives with 2006.

I guess I could just go ahead and back up 2007 now as it stands and then over-write the backups with new ones later once I sort out the date thingy.

I was just hoping someone would have an idea why the date error appears to be jumping around like it is.

It's 453 days, then a week later it's 452 days and three weeks after that it's 454 days.

-----
No virus found in this message.