[...]
> I'm having a problem. When I first got the K10D back in March 2007 I
> set
> the date wrong, or perhaps failed to set the date at all. I didn't get
> the correct date set until 02Oct2007, about 6 months after I got the
> camera.

[...]
> Anyone got any ideas?
>
> There's bound to be an explanation in the way computers calculate dates
> for why it's doing this, but I can't see what it is.

what did you use to calculate the differences between the dates? If you did
it manually, did you take leap years into account? If you use a spreadsheet
or something it will give you the most accurate result. The way computers
calculate dates is not likely to be the reason for the drift you're seeing.
It could be down to the clock on the camera drifting, for example with a
weak battery.

If you're really, really bothered about it you could download all the data
into a spreadsheet, plug in your known dates as reference points, plot a
trend based on the known differences, then apply the trend to the exif dates
to get an approximate answer. Personally I would just live with it, but I
tend not to use the dates.