On Mar 2, 2011, at 8:39 AM, steve harley wrote:

> On 2011-03-02 01:23 , John Sessoms wrote:
>> Because I also have duplicate file names. I have different files on
>> different drives that have the same names, but they're not the same image.
>
> a simple solution to avoiding name conflicts is not to rename anything, but
> to store files in folders YYYY/MM/DD (YYYY\MM\DD in DOS-speak); LightRoom or
> Aperture can do this for you automatically; that would probably also ease any
> manual inspection of images for particular dates that you want to do

Oh no, another thread on how each person handles some trivial task!

I like naming each group of photos in the pattern:
yymmdd_what_im_shooting

for example

110226_portrait_party

But, that file will eventually get filed under
2011a/1102/

I then sort pictures out in subdirectories based on subject or quality.
This way, if I move my processing over to something besides lightroom, it'll be
easier to find the photos.  Also, when I process files to jpeg using "tree
exporter", I can make a disk where the customer can find what they're looking
for without using lightroom.

While I'm at it, I have lightroom rename files on import to date_filename to
avoid name conflicts.

Now, we can have 20 other people tell you what they consider to be the proper
way to do this, and explain what is wrong with everyone else's way of doing it.