From: David Mann
On Mar 4, 2011, at 4:47 PM, David Mann wrote:

Nothing artistic, just a few snaps of our other chimney being
taken down.

http://www.multi.net.nz/chimney/

The builders confirmed what I had suspected: the chimney had
broken off within the roof space, and it was only the roof
structure around it that was keeping it vertical.

Just posted another set.  The chimney that was damaged in September
sustained further damage in the shake last week.  We had taken it
down to roof level due to the safety hazard, but we really should
have taken it down a lot further as the mortar was very weak, not
much more than sand.

The builders are coming back tomorrow to take the rest of it down.
After looking at the cracks in the ceiling and wall I got curious and
went up into the ceiling cavity to take a look.  Naturally I took a
camera :)

http://www.multi.net.nz/chimney-2/

I'm curious. Is there any way to build a reinforced chimney that wouldn't likely come down in an earthquake?

Hopefully you all will get through this and won't have another one for a long, long time. But I'm just wondering if there's any affordable way to build a chimney that would be reasonably safe if there were another earthquake?

-----
No virus found in this message.