To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 1:51 AM
Subject: Workflow Quandary

G'day all

First - a confession.

I know it's a bit Kenny boy-ish - but I shoot mainly JPGs.

There.

I've said it.

I feel unburdened somehow.

I know I 'should' be shooting RAW and I do shoot RAW from time to time.
And it's not that I don't understand its advantages, it's just that I
struggle with the workflow.  So I'm hoping for a bit of enlightenment.

It seems to me that if you only shoot RAW, you have to have some system
in place to batch process those images. There just aren't enough hours
in the day to process each image individually.  I have CS3 and I know
that I can batch process a folder full of RAW images with Photoshop's
File > Automate > Batch command (presumably Lightroom can do something
similar), but here is where things get murky.

So - I'm interested in how others go about the process while still
retaining a measure of sanity.  A few questions, then...

Do you point your conversion software at a folder of RAW images and let
it get on with the job while you watch the latest episode (or two) of
Mythbusters?  If so, isn't this just handing over the image processing
function to software?  Do you go back and 'tweak' the images?

or

Do you look at the JPG previews to decide which images are the 'Hero
Images' (as the late Bruce Fraser called them) and restrict RAW
conversion to those?

If you batch convert the lot, do you convert to a lossless format (TIFF
or PSD)?  There doesn't seem to be much point in converting to JPG - you
could do that in camera.

Do you archive your 'second string' images as RAW, or do you convert to
JPG and ditch the originals?

What's the advantages of shooting RAW + JPG? (perhaps one advantage is
that you could keep just the JPGs of your 'second string' images if you
can't bring yourself to ditch them entirely).

In summary - if you shoot RAW exclusively (or mainly), how do you manage
the workflow and still have a life??

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters