I shoot pef's almost exclusively and import into LR using a card
reader.  The import is set to convert to DNGs, run an import preset
that gets pretty much all the images adjusted close, then back up the
PEFs to the hard drive on my server.  The HD on my work computer gets
backed up to an external drive every moring at 1AM.  I can then tweak
the images and print, upload to a gallery or revisit them later.

-p

--
Being old doesn't seem so old now that I'm old.