On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 18:46 -0600, "steve harley" <p...@paper-ape.com>
wrote:
> On 2011-06-03 17:47 , Brian Walters wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 May 2011 17:47 -0600, "steve harley"<p...@paper-ape.com>
> >> this is a funny question -- perhaps you don't realize that if you shoot
> >> JPEG, you are *absolutely* handing over the image processing function to
> >> software (in the camera) and unlike RAW, you can never go back to the
> >> master
> >

> > No - I understand that.  What I meant was, if you batch process a lot of
> > files, is there any real difference to allowing Photoshop to process the
> > files rather than letting the camera's software do it.
>
> not sure how Photoshop got mixed in here -- i thought we were talking
> about "batch processing" as an aspect of importing into Lightroom or
> Aperture

In my original post I was referring to Photoshop's batch processing (I
don't have Lightroom - yet) and whether allowing it to apply fixed
settings to the images was any different to allowing a camera's software
to do it.  There is a difference, of course, in that with RAW images the
original file is still available for manual processing and it's 16 bit
rather than 8.

> but in any case the in-camera processing is generally a set of specific
> presets with few variable settings, and is provided for a market that's
> generally not as quality-conscious as Photoshop's market; it's also
> constrained by a chipset that's much less powerful than most computers;
> by contrast in Photoshop you have more power, several orders of
> magnitude more options on the processing, and formats that are non-lossy
> and have much wider dynamic range than 8-bit JPEGs

Understood.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters