On Jun 2, 2011, at 9:50 PM, Brian Walters wrote:

> ... if I understand things correctly, if you batch process in
> Photoshop you end up with a second set of images (tiff or jpg) whereas
> in Lightroom you just get image adjustments embedded in the DNG or as a
> sidecar. Of course, it's entirely possible that I don't understand
> things correctly....
>
> Brian

I don't know that the technical details matter much as long as you stick with
one system, but FWIW I think your characterization of LR is a bit off. My
understanding is that image adjustments in LR are neither embedded in the DNG
nor saved as a sidecar. Rather, this is an SQL-type system where information
about an image, including any adjustments made, is maintained in fields in the
data base. If you export a file for additional processing in Photoshop or other
program, then a sidecar may need to be built to carry along the relevant image
info, but it is not needed nor used within a LR-based workflow. What you see on
the screen at any time is an on-the-fly JPEG rendition of your image as
modified by everything you have done to that image within LR. The image is off
wherever you put it, and all of the information about that image is within the
LR database system.

stan