On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 22:22 -0400, "Stan Halpin"
<s...@stans-photography.info> wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2011, at 9:50 PM, Brian Walters wrote:
>
> > ... if I understand things correctly, if you batch process in
> > Photoshop you end up with a second set of images (tiff or jpg) whereas
> > in Lightroom you just get image adjustments embedded in the DNG or as a
> > sidecar. Of course, it's entirely possible that I don't understand
> > things correctly....
> >
> > Brian
> >

> I don't know that the technical details matter much as long as you stick
> with one system, but FWIW I think your characterization of LR is a bit
> off. My understanding is that image adjustments in LR are neither
> embedded in the DNG nor saved as a sidecar. Rather, this is an SQL-type
> system where information about an image, including any adjustments made,
> is maintained in fields in the data base. If you export a file for
> additional processing in Photoshop or other program, then a sidecar may
> need to be built to carry along the relevant image info, but it is not
> needed nor used within a LR-based workflow. What you see on the screen at
> any time is an on-the-fly JPEG rendition of your image as modified by
> everything you have done to that image within LR. The image is off
> wherever you put it, and all of the information about that image is
> within the LR database system.

Ah - thanks for that clarification.

Adobe Camera Raw allows DNG files to store metadata and image settings
directly in the DNG files so I assumed that Lightroom did the same.
Actually, storing this data directly in the LR database is much the same
approach that Studioline uses.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters